Sunday, May 17, 2009

Highway to ....


Yes they are all caterpillars, much fun and excitement for HOURS.....too bad they turn into gypsy moths!

Yep, went to a family bbq (to celebrate my sister's graduation from Med School) in Victoria that threatened to be a family blow up. My mother, wonderful that she is, just can't contain herself sometimes. Instead of being thrilled for my sister and happy and excited it turned into a big drama about her. Once on the road we couldn't help but laugh when Holdy kept telling us we were on the 'Highway to Hell' - oh the innocence of children. My mother has now informed us not to invite her to any more events (birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter....) where my father is going to be. Great. Some say that's her choice, invite her and if she chooses not to come great. I mean really what am I supposed to do, abandon my dad? My sick, blind, deaf, elderly father? Does she really think I wanted to take him to the doctor on my birthday? (Don't even ask me about her blow up and storm out at my birthday dinner that my dad wasn't at......basically because he never remembers it's my birthday....but also to appease her somewhat.....) It's based in jealously. She does sooooooooo much for us - canning, cooking, planting, babysitting and etc and he is just my dad. She feels he doesn't deserve us. I think. My theory. We do what he needs doing because that's what one does when one's parents get older....and when she needs help, I'll be here. Simple or should be.
I was reading "Cat and the Hat" to my kids, again. And the kids had nothing to do but to sit sit sit sit, because it was raining. Sawyer says to me "That's kind of dumb, why would they just sit all day?" Ok, I've read this book my whole life, hundreds of times, and never vocalized this thought.....

2 comments:

Frogcreek said...

Oh No! Family drama. That's a hard one. But I think you are so right in just sending out he invite, and if she comes great, and if not then it's her loss. I hate that she is making you choose. Her dislike of him is hers, not yours! Stay strong, and detour the highway to hell!

Amy Dingmann said...

It never ceases to amaze me how grown adults can sometimes act like children. I think everyone in the world has someone in their family who makes them feel like they are on the highway to hell. Perhaps we could all send THOSE individuals to their own giant holiday celebration...could you imagine the drama?

I agree with MamaK. Its not right for her to make you choose. Stay strong, be tough!