Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Rampant Consumerism at a halt.....

Watching the news last night the newscast was full of the doom and gloom we are all becoming used to. The focus was the fact that the economy is going to suffer because Canadians are not spending money because they are afraid of a slowdown so they are going to cause the slowdown to be even worse......
OR MAYBE Canadians are sick and tired of all the plastic/junk Made in China crap they buy on impulse at Walmart, Zellers, Stupid Store er I mean Superstore, Liquidation world, don'tgetmestarted on Dollar Stores and various thrift stores and their houses are full to the brim, so they are junking it all, feeling guilty at the landfillage (new word?), and deciding that all the crap is NOT NECESSARY. So they are going back to the basics, and trying to make Christmas more about family and less about things. At least that is what I hope they are doing. Sorry to say, I was out looking for something to buy as I don't have anything for Hubby. I hate buying because I should.

I find that if I go to those stores and look around I can always find something that I NEED, but if I don't go, surprise, I don't buy anything. So I try my hardest not to go. I avoid the crap aisles like the plague at SS and avoid Walmart as much as possible. It's amazing how much I don't need. Everytime I buy something I look where it's made. The hat I bought August when he was one, and it still looks as good as new? Made in Canada. Even upmarket gift retailers are full of Made in China SH!T. When we lived in HK we went to a HUGE trade show in GuangJong, like the hugest there is, the one all these wholesalers go to, and guess what we saw? Everything that is in the stores today, mass produced.

My sisterinlaw is very very frugal. If you look around her house you see the same stuff everytime you visit. She doesn't buy stuff. Never. There is nothing extra, and her house is deliciously neat, organized and clutter free and easy to care for. And I bet she has a big bank account for it.......

A friend recommended watching the "story of stuff" gotta find that now.......will post link......

No comments: