Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fair, finally.







August asked me when I was gonna wrap some presents and put them under our tree. Procrastination. So I did. I noticed that I had one less for Sawyer and that the Bionicles (ducking the boos for the made in china plastic lego crap) I bought for him didn't "match". So I left two bags out empty for him. I mentionned to Don that there were less gifts for Sawyer. His comment "they won't even notice". So what's the first thing they do in the morning? "LET'S ORGANIZE THE PRESENTS!!!!!" So they organize. What do they notice. Sawyer has three less....I call him into our room and explain I made a mistake and two more were coming for him. So out he goes happy, and says, "those 2 empty bags are for mine...." So off I head to Walmart, Zellers, Superstore (ducking again....) and guess what? Bionicles are sold out everywhere. So then I figure out the 3 year old doesn't need matching bionicles, he'll probably be happy with one, so I re-wrap the 3 year olds bionicles - one big/one little that match - for the 5 year old (I'm a good mummy I changed bags....) and wrapped 1 for the 3 year old (I got them for him so he didn't feel left out, turns out he didn't need em.....) Then I dig out another gift I had in the cupboard and now all the kids have gifts again. The next morning there is another re-organization. Later that day Holdy, 3, says to me, "Where is my little bag, I had two little bags and 1 disappeared" He NOTICED I had switched out one of his little gifts.....I couldn't believe it. So luckily, I remembered another gift I had stashed a couple of months ago, popped that into a bag for him, and all was "fair", finally.



The play that goes on with the Bionicles is so sweet. These slasher shooter creatures are sick, and in the hospital, their mummies help them get better, they go to sleep overs.....I get a good giggle out of it.....



Santa, that dastardly fellow, got them a 250 piece set of tinkertoys....ok, what brainiac wanted that gift cuz now there are 250 wooden pieces of made in china crap all over our floor......



Junie B Jones. A sweet little thing. I laugh when I read it to the kids. Especially when the mother or the teacher puts her head on the table/desk in exasparation. I hate the fact that some of the "grammar" is SO bad. So what do I do? Read and correct as I go (so when August is reading with me sees me say different words than what are written), read it as it is so he matches my reading to the words (inward groan) or not read at all. I know it's useless twaddle; I read a lot of twaddle free literature to them too. I also hate some of the topics. To 3 boys I just read "the mushy gushy valentine" Argh! About boys and girls 'liking' each other, getting a Valentine from a "secret admirer" and bugging each other because they "liked" each other etc. It was just so out of context for my kids, I wanted to quit reading and move on to the next book, about a field trip to a farm. But of course I couldn't. Pretty sure my kids took it as liking as in for a friend. But this makes me believe that it is media, books, tv and just being in school that teaches this, for want of a better word, sexualization of boy-girl relationships so young. Right now one of August's best friends is a grade 5 ten year old girl. They spend hours together. Go figure, he's in grade 2. Another reason not to send my boys to school. Note to self, pre-read/scan silly books to make sure topics are ok......

No comments: