Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Holdy's Ladybugs

Each morning as we weed each row of strawberries we see hundreds of ladybugs all shapes, sizes and colours. And Holdy loves them. A LOT. We have to catch all we see for him and he puts them in his ladybug container. Even ones on top of each other - "It's ladybug mating season mummy" Sawyer found a black ladybug with red spots. I have a picture to prove it! (Coming I promise, when Don has a free minute to move our main computer out of the guest room!) Holdy proudly carries his ladybugs everywhere carefully in his " 'tainer" and then, after a couple of days SURPRISE we have ladybug eggs.....I only hope he hasn't left his tainer out somewhere and cooked the eggs :) I'd like to infect our plum trees which are prone to aphids with the larvae....I saw a larvae out there on a strawberry plant today, they can MOVE...I was surprised, I expected a slow moving caterpillar type thing...but I guess it is a predator, and predator's move fast.
Big news on the reading front August read "The Twits" to Sawyer today. Yep Roald Dahl! And with very little instruction or prodding. Unschooling works!

No comments: