Thursday, April 16, 2009

Screamer....

I sing this to "Dreamer! Ain't nothing but a dreamer...." by......hmmmmmmm. My Holdy screams or screeches. A lot. If he wants something. If he needs something. If he's po'd. If he's hurt. If he wants more milk. We knew and were trying to deal with it, but with people in the house we are more conscious of how incredibly irritating it is. Responding to the screemch, even if you're trying to teach him not to screemch, means he has learned that it works. I've now had a serious talk with him and use the "Gentle Voice" reminder. We try not to deal with him until he uses a gentle voice (what we were doing ineffectively all along). Sometimes it's hard to know what to do as his brother's have been unkind and caused the screemch....Sometimes it's crazy what he's wanting, like glass of water. Having people in your house does change your perspective. Especially when they have 2 kids, 1 and 3 who are not at the loud stage we are, or maybe my kids are just loud! I can read it all over their faces "My son is learning bad things here..." I already know they will be telling about the yowling kid who taught their son to screemch! (and how to ride a trike....) It was priceless tonight when the two 3 year olds sat in the bath and in stereo yelled "Hungry! Hungry! Hungry!!" The mother when she heard tsk'd tsk'd......

No comments: